The Merge is a planned Ethereum upgrade that shifts the network from the current proof-of-work (PoW) consensus mechanism to a proof-of-stake (PoS) model. This upgrade lays the foundation for the future of Ethereum and the entire Web3 ecosystem.
NodeReal, as the ultimate Web3 infrastructure service provider, is embracing this change and providing access to the Goerli testnet!
In this article, we’ll run through some details of The Merge, and how we are supporting our incredible community during this transition.
What is The Merge?
The Merge refers to the long-awaited upgrade to the Ethereum blockchain that removes the proof-of-work (PoW) consensus layer and merges the Beacon Chain’s proof-of-stake (PoS) network into the current Ethereum mainnet. When The Merge happens, the Beacon Chain will be formally adopted as the new consensus layer over the current Mainnet execution layer.
This migration is an exciting milestone in realizing the Ethereum vision – higher scalability, security, and sustainability. It intends to eliminate the need for energy-intensive mining and instead secure the network using staked ETH.
Still a bit confused? Below are a few key takeaways for you to quickly understand the history of Ethereum, and The Merge in particular:
- Since genesis in July 2015, proof-of-work has secured the Ethereum Mainnet. This is the Ethereum blockchain we're all used to.
- The Beacon Chain was created on December 1, 2020, which has since existed as a separate blockchain to Mainnet, running in parallel. It has not been processing Mainnet transactions. Instead, it has been reaching consensus on its own state by agreeing on active validators and their account balances.
- Soon (~Q3/Q4 2022), the current Ethereum Mainnet will merge with the Beacon Chain proof-of-stake system. This will mark the end of proof-of-work for Ethereum, and the full transition to proof-of-stake.
- The Merge sets the stage for future scaling upgrades, including sharding. It should reduce Ethereum's energy consumption by ~99.95%.
- Let’s stop talking about 'Eth1' and 'Eth2'. After The Merge (merging 'Eth1' and 'Eth2' into a single chain), there will no longer be two distinct Ethereum networks, there will only be Ethereum. To simplify the concepts:
Do I need to do anything?
Most ETH users and holders have nothing to worry about. You do not need to do anything with your funds or wallet before The Merge. Just be careful and on high alert for scams trying to take advantage of the transition.
If you are a dApp developer in the Ethereum ecosystem, then yes, there are some things you need to be aware of. Goerli is recommended to test your dApps as soon as possible. Please note that only Goerli and Sepolia test nets will be maintained after The Merge. You should prepare all your test work to migrate as soon as possible. Check out more information here.
MegaNode has you covered!
Okay, I need to migrate, but how? We’ve got you covered with MegaNode, the fastest, most powerful RPC & Archive node provider on Ethereum! Follow these steps to quickly migrate your project to the Goerli testnet!
- Login MegaNode with your GitHub account.
2. Create your App and select Ethereum - Goerli as the network. App in MegaNode is a project-based unit, used to manage your API requests easily.
3. Start your development and testing. That’s all! You can now develop and test on Goerli.
MegaNode makes your life as a developer a lot easier by providing high-performance blockchain node services. We provide the fastest, most stable, and scalable RPC & Archive Node services for BNBChain, Ethereum, Aptos (Testnet), and more! With MegaNode, developers can focus on building their dApp without spending time on setting up and maintaining the infrastructure. You can always track our performance on the status page.
At NodeReal, we’re passionate about supporting as many projects as possible. For the month of July, we are supporting our community with a Free MegaNode Growth Plan! Message us in Discord and tell us the best way to support your project.
NodeReal is a one-stop blockchain infrastructure and service provider that embraces the high-speed blockchain era. We provide scalable, reliable, and efficient blockchain solutions for everyone, aiming to support the adoption, growth, and long-term success of the Web3 ecosystem.
Join Our Community
We will have more discussions on “The Merge” on our Discord and Podcast on our Youtube channel. Please join our community to learn more about NodeReal and stay up to date!
Discord | Twitter| Youtube | Linkedin